The worldwide ATM industry has grown significantly in recent years, with more than 3 million machines spread across the world. As the use of cash continues to trail off in favor of digital payments, the landscape of the increased and more intricate ATM industry is changing as well. From the prevalence of cash-dispensing ATMs to the growth of alternative devices such as smart-card readers and cryptocurrency ATM machines, the ATMs of today offer a diverse range of services. To better understand the current state of the ATM industry, let’s take a look at the data and trends available on ATM industry statistics and forex. 1. The total number of different types of ATMs worldwide is estimated to be more than 2.8 million, with approximately 1.5 million of those being located in the United States.
2. According to research from Statista, the global ATMs market is projected to reach a total value of more than $72 billion by 2024, after growing at a compound annual growth rate of 8.5% from 2020 to 2024.
3. In the US, there are estimated to be 400,000 ATMs, 60 percent of which are owned by non-bank entities such as independent retailers, casinos, and hotels.
4. According to ATMIA, the total number of ATMs grew by 7.23% in 2019, with the biggest growth being seen in Oceania.
5. Thanks to the increasing popularity of contactless payments, the use of ATMs has declined in recent years, especially in Europe. According to Statista, the number of ATM transactions has fallen from 30.8 billion in 2013 to 24.7 billion in 2019.
6. However, despite the decrease in transactions, the number of ATMs has continued to increase, suggesting that the machines still have an important role to play in providing customers with quick and easy access to cash.